Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Act I scene ii









ACT I
Scene 2 “Brother Francis and the Wolf”
The curtains open on a forest near Gubbio, Italy. Francis and the wolf on the right and left sides of the theatre.

FRANCIS: Tell me, Brother Wolf, just what’s going on here?  Are we going to have a show?  I love the theatre, you know. In fact, I’m quite a singer. Would you like to hear a song?
WOLF: No thanks, maybe later. You see, Brother Francis, we’re going to show the good people here, and especially my new chum, the shepherd, how you and I became friends. Now where did that little fellow go?
(Shepherd stands up in front of the theatre and waves, then leans against the side of the theatre)
WOLF: Um, Brother Francis, you called me Brother Wolf. Why do you call me “brother”?  I should tell you that I’m a girl wolf, not a boy wolf, but if you’d rather call me “brother” I don’t mind.
FRANCIS: Ah, yes!  Well, I’m sorry about that, “Sister Wolf”! I call all people and all God’s creatures “brother” or “sister”, and I sometimes forget which are brothers and which are sisters. But, I’ll try to remember to call you sister.
WOLF: Thank you. You asked me to meet you here. What’s the problem?
FRANCIS: It’s quite serious. The good people of this village of Gubbio have asked me to come and chase you away. But first, I want you to tell me why they say that you are a very dangerous creature. Is that true?
WOLF: Me?  Why am I dangerous?  I’m not doing anything wrong. Why does everyone always say I’m such a bad guy?
FRANCIS: Who says you are bad?
WOLF: You said the people of Gubbio don’t like me because I’m bad.
FRANCIS: Did I say that?  I thought I said they called you dangerous.
WOLF: Isn’t that the same thing?
FRANCIS: I suppose that all depends. Brother Fire is dangerous, but he isn’t bad. What do you say about yourself?
WOLF: Hmm. I don’t think I’m bad. But everyone hates me. They all run away from me, or chase me with sticks or throw stones at me.
FRANCIS : What are you doing when they chase you away?  Just sitting around minding your own business?
WOLF: Minding my own business?  Yes, you could say I’m just minding my own business when they chase me away.
FRANCIS: And just what business is it that you’re minding that upsets the people so much that they have to chase you away?
WOLF: What business?  Well, I’m looking after my health, that’s what. And what am I doing when they start yelling and causing such a fuss?  Oh, usually I’m just looking around. You know. I’m usually feeling a bit peckish. Seems like I’m always hungry. In fact…
FRANCIS: In fact what?  Are you hungry now?  What are you looking for?  A sheep?
WOLF: Huh?  Oh, nothing. No, I was just thinking. I really could use something about now. If you’ll just excuse me, I think I see that sheep....
FRANCIS: Just a minute now. Come back here!  I have a job to do before you go away.
WOLF: A job?  A paying job?  Like people have?
FRANCIS: You might say that. But I asked you a question. What is it that you are doing when the people get upset with you?  Just answer that question, and then maybe you can be on your way.
WOLF: Well, I’m looking for food, of course. I can’t just buy my food, now can I?  I’m a wolf, not a working person. I don’t have any money.
FRANCIS: Neither do I, for that matter. But people aren’t afraid of me. Come on. ‘Fess up! How do you get your food?
WOLF: I just take what I find. Don’t you? 
FRANCIS: We aren’t talking about me just now. But no. I don’t take what I find. That would be stealing. Do you steal? 
WOLF: Is that what they say about me?  They think I’m stealing?  Do they say I’m a thief?  Me?
FRANCIS: Well, that is what they say. What do you say for yourself?  If you’re stealing, then you must be a thief. And worse. Come on, confession time. It’s good for the soul, so they say and I think that’s true. What do you do to get your food?
WOLF:  I have to eat something.
FRANCIS: I understand that. But their children?  How would you like it if someone ate your children?
WOLF (indignantly): I didn’t eat any of their children. I couldn’t catch any children. The people shooed them indoors when they saw me.
FRANCIS: That isn’t a very good defence. You didn’t eat them because you couldn’t catch them.
WOLF:I guess.
FRANCIS: I see. And what about the sheep?  Did you steal their sheep.
WOLF: I have to eat something.
FRANCIS: Yes. Of course you do. And sheep is a natural food for wolves, unfortunately. I say unfortunately because people also eat sheep. That’s one reason they keep them. So what can we do about this? 
WOLF: I don’t know. I have to eat sheep, and I have no way to keep them myself. I can’t get a job as a shepherd!
FRANCIS (laughing): No!  I can’t imagine anyone giving you a job as a shepherd!  But neither can we let you carry on as a thief. Why don’t you just confess what you do?
WOLF: Oh, all right. Let’s see. Well, I howled all night and they chased me away saying they couldn’t sleep.
FRANCIS : And what else?
WOLF: I peeked into their windows and made faces at them.
FRANCIS: Scary!  And what else?
WOLF: I dug up the vegetables in their gardens.
FRANCIS: That’s not very nice, is it?  What else?  I haven’t heard about sheep and children yet.
WOLF: It’s true I chased the children, but I didn’t catch any and I certainly didn’t eat any.
FRANCIS: And the sheep?
WOLF: Yes. Guilty, I suppose. I did steal their sheep and eat them. But I was hungry. What can I do? I guess I’m a big bad wolf, just as they say.
FRANCIS: Let me speak to the good people of Gubbio. I have an idea that just might work. But first of all I have to have a solemn promise from you that you will stop stealing from them.
WOLF: Sure. No problem. I promise. Now, what’s next?
FRANCIS: What?   Is that a real promise. Show me your hands. Let me see those fingers. Are your fingers crossed?
WOLF: Wolves don’t have fingers.
FRANCIS: That’s what I thought. But you’re doing something. And did I see you winking at the audience?  What was that all about?
WOLF: Um. Well, I just don’t want to make a promise I can’t keep. We’re talking about my meals here.
FRANCIS: Trust me. I think I can arrange it so that you won’t have to steal. If I can do that, can I trust you to keep your promise not to steal from the people of Gubbio?
WOLF: Do I have to move away from Gubbio?  After all, it’s my hometown. I’ve lived here ever since I was a little cub. My whole life.
FRANCIS: If my plan succeeds, you and the people of Gubbio will be able to live peacefully together. You might even become friends. Especially if you really and truly promise to leave their children in peace. Hurting even one child would be a real deal-breaker. You would definitely have to leave the village area.
WOLF: That’s no problem. I can promise not to hurt the children. Children are too sweet for me anyway. I like lamb or mutton best. Do I have to promise not to eat any sheep?  I don’t think I can do that.
FRANCIS: I think I can arrange it so that you can eat sheep every day.  First I need your solemn promise about leaving the children alone. And, of course, about not stealing the sheep. Do I have that?
WOLF: You’ve got it!  I solemnly promise to leave children alone. And I won’t eat any sheep.
FRANCIS: No. I said promise that you won’t steal any sheep. You can still eat them. You just can’t steal them. Promise?
WOLF: I promise.
FRANCIS: All right. I’ll go and talk to them and see what we can work out for you. And for them. They’re really frightened you know. You may not be really bad—after all, you didn’t actually hurt any of their children. But you did steal their sheep.
WOLF: I’m sorry.
FRANCIS: Really?  Can I tell them that?  Can I tell the people of Gubbio that you’re really sorry for scaring them?  That might help when I ask them for the special favour. This is more important that you might think. They were ready to hunt you down, even though you hadn’t killed any of their children. They were planning to kill you. Did you know that?
WOLF: No!  Really?  I knew they were really mad at me. They were yelling and throwing sticks and stones at me. But I didn’t know they really wanted to kill me. Do you think it’ll be safe for me to go back into the village?  Maybe I do have to leave Gubbio.
FRANCIS: I’m not just saying this to scare you. Or, maybe I am. You really need to know just how important it is for you to keep these promises. If you don’t keep your promises, we can’t expect the people of Gubbio to keep theirs, now can we?
WOLF: No. I guess not. Okay. I solemnly promise to leave their children in peace, and I solemnly promise to leave their sheep in peace, too. No matter how hard I find it to do.
FRANCIS: Good. Now if the people will agree to my proposal, then everyone will live peacefully together.
WOLF: Just what are you planning to ask them to do? 
FRANCIS: Simple. I’m going to ask them to leave some food out for you every morning and every evening. That way you won’t have to steal your food. It will be given to you freely by the people. Soon, when they see you are only looking for food, and you don’t want to hurt anyone or steal anything, they’ll feel better about you and about themselves. What do you think?  Would you like that arrangement?
WOLF: You think they’d do that for me?  Would they just feed me?  That would be wonderful.
FRANCIS: Good. Then it’s settled. I’ll go and talk to the people. I’ll meet you here this evening and take you to the village for your first honest meal.
WOLF: Okay. But before you go, can I ask you a question?
FRANCIS: Certainly. What would you like to know?
WOLF: Well, everyone says I’m so bad, but you say maybe I’m not really bad, deep down. And everyone says you’re so good. Are you really good?  I mean, I think what you’re doing for me is really good. And I’m very grateful and all that. But how can you be so good?  Is it just because you’re a saint?  Were you born good?
FRANCIS: Oh, I can see that you want me to tell you my story. Well, that’s fair enough. But first let me go to make our arrangements, then, when you’ve had your dinner I can tell you all about myself. The short answer, though, is no. I wasn’t always good. Everyone is born good, but we all make mistakes and fall short of God’s plan for us. I certainly wasn’t always a saint. That took a long time and a lot of work. I’ll tell you when I get back. First, I have to go to Gubbio.
(Francis and Wolf exit)
CURTAIN CLOSES


No comments:

Post a Comment